Migration Australia



Skilled Migration Visa

Australian Migration – The Demand Driven and Systematic Approach

Australian migration system is considered as most demand driven and applicants friendly. Each year Australia approves more migration visas than any other similar countries. Even the number of occupation categories is considerably high that Australia is currently permitting. Due to its rapid economic growth and lowest density of population, Australia is a perfect migration destination for professionals who really care for their career and family.

What Are the Basic Requirements for Skilled Migration?

Professionals should have a required education and multiple years of successful professional experience for skilled migration. The current skilled immigration requirement for Australia is:


  • Age should be below 50 years
  • At least Bachelor / Master’s degree completed
  • Should have experience on SOL/CSOL listed occupation
  • Should achieve at least 60 points according to DIBP specification
  • Should have good command on English (Min. IELTS score 6.0 should be provided later)
  • Click here for Online Assessment

Study In Australia

Some SOL and State Sponsored Occupations that are in demand

All Computing Professionals, Training & Development Professional, Project Builder, All Engineering Professionals, Community Worker, Urban & Regional Planner, All Environmental Professionals, Social Worker, Research and Development Manager, All Agricultural Professionals, Financial Investment Adviser, Production Manager, Architect, Financial Institution Branch Manager,      ICT Business Development Manager, Life Scientist, Geologist, University Lecturer, Chemist, Healthcare Professionals, Metallurgist, Human Resource Professional, Construction Project Manager, Hotel or Motel Manager, Conference and Event Organizer, Program or Project Administrator, Call or Contact Centre Manager, Occupational Health and Safety Adviser, Laboratory Manager, Veterinary Doctor, Industrial Pharmacist and many more.

Skilled Migration to Australia – A Complete Guideline

  1. Skilled Migration Criteria
  2. Skill Select Expression of Interest (EOI) System
  3. How Skill Select applies to Skilled Points Tested Visas
  4. Processing of EOIs – Independent and Family Sponsored Applicants
  5. Processing of EOIs – State Nominated Applicants
  6. Time Limit to Apply after being Invited
  7. Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
  8. Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL)
  9. English Language Requirement for General Skilled Migration
  10. Australian Skilled Migration – An Online Eligibility Assessment


  1. Skilled Migration Criteria

Applicants for skilled migration need to meet strict threshold criteria. These criteria include:



You must be aged between 18 and 49 at the time of invitation.


English Language Ability

» Non-Native English Speakers will have to take English language test (in most cases, the IELTS). Natives might be exempted from taking IELTS but they are prescribed to take it for claiming more points. The usual or threshold requirement for IELTS is 6.0 that is a qualifying score for most of the occupations.


Skills Assessment

For skill verification, all applicants will have to undergo skills assessment from the relevant assessment authority. A number of skill assessment bodies are available for varying skills having different verification requirements. In most cases, the skills assessment will be based on the applicant’s qualifications and work experience, though in some cases English language ability and formal examinations are required.


Skill Select

From 1 July 2012, most applicants will need to go through the Skill Select system – this involves of making an Expression of Interest and receiving an invitation from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to apply which usually requires expert guidelines.


  1. Skill Select Expression of Interest (EOI) System

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection introduced the Skill Select System on 1 July 2012. Applicants for a number of visa subclasses needs to go through an Expression of Interest (EOI) prior lodging their final applications.


The following types of application can be lodged through Skill Select:

  • Skilled Independent Subclass 189 Visas
  • Skilled Nominated Subclass 190 Visas
  • Skilled Regional (Provisional) Subclass 489 Visas
  1. How Skill Select applies to Skilled Points Tested Visas


To lodge an EOI, you must have completed your skills assessment and your English language test (usually IELTS). You also may wish to obtain a nomination from a state or territory government prior to lodging an EOI as this will improve your chances of getting an invitation.


  1. Processing of EOIs – Independent and Family Sponsored Applicants


For Independent and Family Sponsored Applicants, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection regularly reviews the EOIs which have been lodged. They issue the eligible candidates with an invitation to make an application for skilled points tested migration.


  1. Processing of EOIs – State Nominated Applicants


If you are looking at being nominated by a state or territory government, you will need to lodge an EOI. Once the state or territory government completes your nomination, you would usually receive an invitation from Skill Select. There are two things to bear in mind though:


  • You must have a passing score to receive an invitation (currently 60 points for Skilled Points Tested applicants)
  • You will not receive an invitation if the occupational ceiling for your occupation has been reached


  1. Time Limit to Apply after being invited


Once you receive an invitation, you will need to make your visa application within 60 days. There is no assurance that you will be re-invited if you fail to file your visa application. At best you can be invited twice before the EOI is removed from the system. Feel free to contact us if you would like a full assessment of your situation, or if you would like our assistance in making your visa application.



  1. Skilled Occupation List (SOL)


The Skilled Occupation List (SOL) is a list of skilled occupations that deliver high value skills needed by the Australian economy. The SOL only applies to independent, which is non-State/Territory government nominated skilled migration. It aims to meet medium to long-term skills needs of high value occupations, rather than immediate short term shortages. This means your occupation must be on the SOL if you are applying for points based skilled migration independently.


Skilled Occupation List – Australia

The most common occupations that are currently under Schedule 1 – Skilled Occupation List (SOL) are listed in the column named Occupations

ANZSCO Code Unit Group Occupations
234111234112234113 AGRICULTURAL AND FORESTRY SCIENTISTS • Agricultural Consultant• Agricultural Scientist• Forester
233912 AGRICULTURAL ENGINEER • Agricultural Engineer
261311261312261313 SOFTWARE AND APPLICATIONS PROGRAMMERS • Analyst Programmer• Developer Programmer• Software Engineer
233913 BIOMEDICAL ENGINEER • Biomedical Engineer
233111233112 CHEMICAL AND MATERIALS ENGINEERS • Chemical Engineer• Materials Engineer
233211233212233214233215 CIVIL ENGINEERING PROFESSIONALS • Civil Engineer• Geotechnical Engineer• Structural Engineer• Transport Engineer
263111 COMPUTER NETWORK AND SYSTEMS ENGINEER • Computer Network and Systems Engineer
133111133112 CONSTRUCTION MANAGERS • Construction Project Manager• Project Builder
233311 ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS • Electrical Engineer
233411 ELECTRONICS ENGINEERS • Electronics Engineer
133211 ENGINEERING MANAGERS • Engineering Manager
233914 ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGIST • Engineering Technologist
233915 ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEER • Environmental Engineer
251311251312 OCCUPATIONAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONALS • Environmental Health Officer• Occupational Health and Safety Adviser
261111261112 ICT BUSINESS AND SYSTEMS ANALYSTS • ICT Business Analyst• Systems Analyst
233511233512233513 INDUSTRIAL, MECHANICAL AND PRODUCTION ENGINEERS • Industrial Engineer• Mechanical Engineer• Production or Plant Engineer
33611233612 MINING ENGINEERS • Mining Engineer(excluding Petroleum)• Petroleum Engineer
233916 NAVAL ARCHITECT • Naval Architect
263311263312 TELECOMMUNICATIONS ENGINEERING PROFESSIONALS • Telecommunications Engineer• Telecommunications Network Engineer
313212313213313214 TELECOMMUNICATIONS TECHNICAL SPECIALISTS • Telecommunications Field Engineer• Telecommunications Network Planner• Telecommunications Technical Officer or Technologist
232611 URBAN AND REGIONAL PLANNERS • Urban and Regional Planner



  1. Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL)


According to DIBP, the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL) is relevant for Points based skilled migration applicants who are nominated by a State or Territory government agency under a State Migration Plan. The CSOL only applies to non-independent, which is State/Territory government nominated skilled migration.

If you have an occupation on the CSOL, you may be eligible for State and Territory nomination or family sponsorship. States and Territory governments, have access to a wider range of occupations on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL).


Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL) – Australia:

ANZSCO Code Unit Group Occupations
149211 149212 CALL OR CONTACT CENTRE AND CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGERS • Call or Contact Centre Manager• Customer Service Manager
234211234212234213 CHEMISTS, AND FOOD AND WINE SCIENTISTS • Chemist• Food Technologist• Wine Maker
263111263112263113 COMPUTER NETWORK PROFESSIONALS • Computer Network and Systems Engineer• Network Administrator• Network Analyst
149311 CONFERENCE AND EVENT ORGANISERS • Conference and Event Organizer
262111262112262113 DATABASE AND SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATORS, AND ICT SECURITY SPECIALISTS • Database Administrator• ICT Security Specialist• Systems Administrator
234311234312234313234314 ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENTISTS • Conservation Officer• Environmental Consultant• Environmental Research Scientist• Park Ranger
222311222312 FINANCIAL INVESTMENT ADVISERS AND MANAGERS • Financial Investment Adviser• Financial Investment Manager
234411234412 GEOLOGISTS AND GEOPHYSICISTS • Geologist• Geophysicist
232411232412232413232414 GRAPHIC AND WEB DESIGNERS, AND ILLUSTRATORS • Graphic Designer• Illustrator• Multimedia Designer• Web Designer
223111223112223113 HUMAN RESOURCE PROFESSIONALS • Human Resource Adviser• Recruitment Consultant• Workplace Relations Adviser
135111135112 ICT MANAGERS • Chief Information Officer• ICT Project Manager
225211225212225213 ICT SALES PROFESSIONALS • ICT Account Manager• ICT Business Development Manager• ICT Sales Representative
263211263212263213 ICT SUPPORT AND TEST ENGINEERS • ICT Quality Assurance Engineer• ICT Support Engineer• ICT Systems Test Engineer
223211 ICT TRAINERS • ICT Trainer
232511 INTERIOR DESIGNERS • Interior Designer



JOURNALISTS AND OTHER WRITERS • Copywriter• Newspaper or Periodical Editor• Print Journalist• Radio Journalist

• Technical Writer

• Television Journalist

224611 LIBRARIANS • Librarian





LIFE SCIENTISTS • Life Scientist (General)• Anatomist or Physiologist• Biochemist• Biotechnologist

• Botanist

• Marine Biologist

• Microbiologist T

• Zoologist

261211261212 MULTIMEDIA SPECIALISTS AND WEB DEVELOPERS • Multimedia Specialist• Web Developer
234911234912234913234914 OTHER NATURAL AND PHYSICAL SCIENCE PROFESSIONALS • Conservator• Metallurgist• Meteorologist• Physicist
251511251512251513 PHARMACISTS • Hospital Pharmacist• Industrial Pharmacist• Retail Pharmacist
132411 POLICY AND PLANNING MANAGERS • Policy and Planning Manager
225311 PUBLIC RELATIONS PROFESSIONALS • Public Relations Professional
132511 RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT MANAGERS • Research and Development Manager
225411225412 TECHNICAL SALES REPRESENTATIVES • Sales Representative (Industrial Products)• Sales Representative (Medical and Pharmaceutical Products)
223311 TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT PROFESSIONALS • Training and Development Professional
242111242112 UNIVERSITY LECTURERS AND TUTORS • University Lecturer• University Tutor



  1. English Language Requirement for General Skilled Migration

If you are applying for Skilled Migration, you will need to prove your English language ability. The required level of English depends on the visa subclass you are applying for and there are 3 different levels of English which may be relevant:


  • Superior English
  • Proficient English
  • Competent English


Timing of English

This means that you would need to provide evidence of English testing at the time of application, however, some skills assessing authorities require IELTS score result during assessment. As it can take some time to obtain a booking for a test and to receive the results, you may wish to plan to take the English test well ahead of time. Tests conducted up to 3 years prior to lodgment of a skilled visa application will be accepted by DIBP.


Acceptable English Tests

The IELTS test is the most common way of evidencing English language ability. Either the Academic or General Training versions of the test are acceptable to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, but some skills assessing authorities require applicants to sit the Academic version. You will need to obtain a minimum score in each band of the IELTS (Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking) in a single sitting. The threshold requirement is 6.0 yet it might vary according to the nominated occupation’s requirement against the state. One can take IELTS in either General Training or Academic module once General IELTS is the requirement but when Academic IELTS is the requirement one will have to take Academic IELTS.


The Occupational English Test (OET) is also accepted as evidence of proficient and superior levels of English. The OET is only appropriate for medical and allied health professionals. It is likely that other tests will be added to the list of acceptable tests in the future.


Business Migration

Business (Business Innovation and Investment) Migration

Business migration is an immense opportunity for many business personnel. As per the recent change, the migration process brings more flexibility and it is also considered as applicant friendly procedure. For this category there is no requirement for any specific academic degree or English language ability.

Business Migration – Basic Requirements

  • Having substantial business experience
  • Having min. 500,000 AUD yearly business turnover
  • Having min. 800,000 AUD of total asset must fulfill the basic point requirement set by DIBP


Buying property in Australia does not guarantee or fulfill requirement to migrate to Australia.

  • 1.FAQ for Australia Migration
  • I have applied for a visa for Australia. Will I get a visa label or sticker in my passport?

    If you apply for an electronic visa via our office, we will send you a copy of the visa decision made by Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). If your electronic visa application is approved, you should travel to Australia with a copy of DIBP’s visa grant notice. A visa label or sticker in your passport is not required. The visa is linked electronically to the passport provided with your visa application, and you must use the same passport to travel to Australia. Some nationals may be required to obtain a visa label or sticker in their passport, but our office will advise you if this is necessary.

  • Does my passport have to be valid for at least 6 months to enter Australia?

    It is not a mandatory requirement that your passport is valid for at least 6 months to enter Australia. It is only a recommendation. It is a requirement of Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) that your passport is valid for the duration of your intended stay in Australia. Although DIBP does not enforce the 6 month rule, some airlines do, so you may wish to check with your airline before you book your flight. Please also check with the countries through which you are transiting on your way to Australia.

  • Will the immigration authorities or Embassy help me to prepare my application and make sure that everything is correct before applying?

    No. This type of service is no longer provided by Government. The authorities exist to enforce the immigration law, make decisions on residence applications and to issue residence visas. Although basic information and application forms are available, the authorities are unable to provide independent advice and personalized guidance on your specific case. An Australian Registered Migration Agent can provide this kind of service.

  • Do I have to send original documents with my application?

    Yes. Generally for permanent migration applications original documentation is required.

  • Can the immigration authorities refuse my application?

    Yes. A surprisingly large number of applicants are unaware how strictly the immigration regulations are enforced and are often unnecessarily refused or delayed due to technical errors on their application or by submitting the wrong supporting documentation. So the moral of the story is to consider seeking the professional guidance and independent advice of a MARA Registered Migration Agent before lodging an application for residence. Migration Agents exist to help you find the best way through the immigration maze and are highly effective in doing so.

  • My Migration Agent has assessed me as being eligible for residence in Australia. If I apply without his or her help, can I be certain of success?

    No. Although you may fundamentally qualify under the immigration policy, you are by no means guaranteed of success. Your application must be prepared in accordance with the prevailing immigration regulations and submitted together with the appropriate supporting documentation in order to be approved by the immigration authorities. The ways in which to do this are not always clearly set out by the immigration authorities and result in many applicants presenting their cases incorrectly, inevitably leading to refusal. So you should consider seeking the advice of a MARA Registered Migration Agent.

  • How soon can I get in?

    All depends under which type of visa you are applying for migration. Nobody gets a visa overnight – these things invariably takes time. Each application is unique and a time estimate can only be determined once an ASA Consultant has done a personal assessment. Also have a look at the average processing times.

  • What about qualifications?

    A formal tertiary qualification will definitely aid you if you are under 45.

  • Does age matter?

    Yes, but a lot depends on personal circumstances and the type of visa you apply under.

  • How long will it take to process my migration application?

    This all depends on the specific visa class and subclass. We will detail this in your assessment report.

  • Do I have to lodge my passport with my application?

    Passports are NOT required to make a valid application. However, for all temporary residence visa applications (except Retirement visa applications) you should provide your passport with 2 unused visa pages with your application.

    If you think that you will need your passport during this time, DO NOT send it with your application. We deal with a large number of visa applications and cannot guarantee that we will be able to return your passport to you when you need it.

  • I am applying under the partner provisions do you need to interview me and my partner/sponsor?

    In most cases we may need to interview you, but this will usually be over the telephone. We will contact you if we need to arrange an interview.

  • Does my sponsor (i.e. spouse or partner) have to remain in the country of residence during processing?


  • If I am approved, how long do I have before I must travel to Australia?

    The initial entry date (stated on your visa) is the date by which you must travel to Australia on your visa. This date is calculated based on the validity of your health and character clearances. These clearances are usually only valid for 12 months.

    If you (and any members of your family included in your application) do not enter Australia by the initial entry date, you will breached a condition of your visa and consideration will be given to canceling your visa.

  • I know I need to travel to Australia before the initial entry date on my visa but am I required to migrate to Australia before this date as I have a home to sell and/or other assets to dispose of?

    You must travel to Australia before the expiry of the initial entry date in order to activate the visa for its full term which, in most cases, is a full term of five years (the date is on the visa label).

    Migrant visa holders are not required to migrate (i.e. settle permanently) to Australia before the expiry of the initial entry date on their visas.

    Provided you (and all family members included in your application) have made at least one trip to Australia before the initial entry date your visa is then valid for return travel until the final expiry date.

    There are exceptions to this general rule. For example, Spouse – Provisional visas (subclass 309) and Prospective Spouse visas (subclass 300) both have initial entry dates but neither is valid for a full term of five years.

  • Can I visit Australia while my migration application is being processed?

    Yes. But you will need to meet the requirements for that class of visa, which may include the requirement that you only intend a holiday or short visit. Visitor’s visas are not intended to provide residence in Australia for migration applicants awaiting the outcome of their application and you must inform us if you are temporarily in Australia as we can continue you’re processing whilst you are there.

  • Can I be granted my migrant visa while I am in Australia?

    No. You must be outside Australia before we can grant you the migrant visa. You must depart Australia for your visa to be granted and evidenced in your passport. You do not need to return to the country where the application was lodged as this can be done at any Australia overseas mission.

  • Can I do my medical processing in Australia?

    Yes. If you are in Australia temporarily you can approach an office of the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs to collect the medical forms (Form 26 and Form 160) and details on approved doctors and radiologists. You should sent your sealed medical results, marked with your file reference, to this office or to DIAC directly when completed.

  • Who is an ‘exempt person’?

    The following people are called an ‘exempt person’.

    These people can provide immigration assistance for a visa, but only if they do not charge you a fee:

    • your spouse, parent, brother, sister, child or adopted child
    • your sponsor or nominator
    • parliamentarians (State or federal) and their staff
    • Members of diplomatic missions, consular posts or international organizations.

    If you are applying in Australia, officials whose duties include providing immigration assistance (for example, legal aid providers or departmental staff performing their duties) are also exempt people.


  • I have lodged my visa application, but some of the answers I gave are wrong. What can I do?

    If you need to tell us that you have supplied us with incorrect information, you can use undefined document entitled: ‘Form ‘Form 1023 Notification of incorrect answer(s) (100 kB PDF).

  • Who can translate my documents into English for me?

    Any document in a language other than English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.

    A translator in Australia must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters.

    A translator outside Australia does not need to be accredited, but they must endorse the translation with their full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated.

  • Why is there a character requirement?

    The character requirement is used to protect the safety and welfare of the Australian community.

  • Do I have to sign the Australian Values Statement?

    If you apply for a visa to live in Australia, and you are older than 18 years of age, you must sign the Australian Values Statement.